The history goes back to 1912 when the company was established in Rotterdam under the name REAF. Unfortunately the premises at the Tweede Weenastraat was completely destroyed in the Second World War bombing raid. Like many other important buildings the Chamber of Commerce was also devastated which makes it impossible to trace the exact founded date. During the war the company was located in a temporary building on the Coolhaven.
After the war, a new residence was built in the Jufferstraat. After traveling around in Rotterdam, the company moved to Etten Leur in 1961 and changed the name in B.V. “Transformatoren- en Apparatenfabriek Trafa” Brand name REAF remained the same. In honour of its 60th anniversary REAF gave their staff a gift, a vase stated REAF 1912-1972, which shows the establishment in 1912.
In 1977 Transformatoren- en apparatenfabriek Trafa took over a small spinning company in Lanaken (Belgium) where different products like transformers, coils and ballasts were produced under the brand name TRAVOPA. Later on the product range was extended with RESITRA medium and high voltage transformers by the acquisition of the cast resin transformer factory from the HOLEC group.
As a result of a management buy-out in 2003 the company name changed into TRAFA B.V. From that moment on all products have brand name TRAFA, former brand names like REAF, RESITRA and TRAVOPA can still be produced.
A new lot was built in the Tussendonk in Etten Leur, since 2009 this is our home base.